Saturday, 26 March 2011

shuttles and skylines

Today started at 10 with the drawing and painting class for adults. I'm making it very structured this time, from drawing techniques through to applying paint to a tightly drawn plan and working into it more freely with thicker paint. Then details and tonal effects. 

I started doing one myself today just to remind myself and find new things to teach. I think it also helps the students to get into it if you're not hovering around. I was going to reproduce the moon painting I made a few years ago which I've been using as a teaching point. I got sidetracked by a picture of the space shuttle launch which seemed more technically challenging. A very peaceful morning of painting for all ensued.

This space shuttle thing is well into my comfort zone- it's going to look fine- technically right. It'll be a bit twee but i'm quite fond of the subject matter in a boyish way. I always have to feel like I'm expressing myself or trying to learn something when I make art (the great artistic struggle *sigh*) and that definitely isn't happening in this picture. It's a painting of a space shuttle which is going to be alright, but just alright. I used to love drawing cars for kids when I was a schoolteacher. Nissan Skylines were my favourite and I made a large 'proper' drawing of one in my studio several years ago. 

I can't wait to be old and bed-ridden, too late to worry about doing something 'great' or making tomorrow's money today. I'll paint shuttles and skylines, maybe even a fox or two, piling them up by the side of my bed. One or two might turn up in charity shops when they clear my house.

In other news we've got the arts council grant through for the sculpture park project in Clayton West (sounds like a cowboy), I've been working with St Thomas Primary on their Roman curriculum theme, I've got two portrait sculptures in the Cooper Gallery in Barnsley until May 6th, I fed-exed my submission for the Society of Portrait Sculptor's yesterday, I've made a smashing little oil painting of Rose, and I've finally got most of the website up: www.jamiefrost.com

Now all that's done I'm going to try and blog at least weekly. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment